pinterest

January Readers Workshop: Back to Basics

First of all, wishing you much health and happiness to you and your family in the coming year!  I hope your break was restful and fun.  As we're trying to figure out what we're actually going to teach this week, I was reflecting on past Januaries, and how I have to throw in a few September mini lessons on classroom procedures because we seemed to have forgotten them in the midst of parties, opening gifts, sleeping late, and eating some extra cookies.  I have this chart that we created earlier in the year that stays up all year long (in case I need to a September mini lesson in April...again).  I like this chart because at the end of private reading and/or partner reading, I can ask them to quickly rate themselves using a thumbs up, thumbs in the middle, and thumbs down.  I can also give out the Reader of the Day, Partnership of the Day, or take away stuffed animals based on this chart.

Building their reading stamina is process, building their reading stamina is process, building their reading stamina is process, I keep telling myself...

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm your newest fan.... Love your site! I teach also.
    Marcia from http://learningideasgradesk-8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Marcia! I am now following your blog as well...some very simple yet cool science experiments...very nice!

    ReplyDelete